Frequently Asked Switzerland ETIAS Questions

Do UK citizens need Switzerland ETIAS?

Yes. When ETIAS Switzerland becomes mandatory in 2025, it will replace the current system for all people travelling from visa-exempt countries. This means British citizens will be required to apply if they wish to travel to Switzerland or other European countries.There will be a six-month (or longer) grace period to allow travellers and border authorities to adjust to the new process, after which it will be compulsory for all eligible passengers to have Switzerland ETIAS approval. Transport operators and border officials will be tasked with ensuring that ETIAS eligible travellers have ETIAS approval. All British citizens, British nationals (overseas), British Protected Persons (BPP), British Overseas Territories Citizens (BOTC), and British subjects will all require ETIAS approval.

Do UK citizens need to apply for Switzerland ETIAS?

Yes, if you are a British citizen. Any citizen of a country that enjoys visa-free status with the EU will be eligible to apply for ETIAS Visa Switzerland. Although the UK is no longer part of the EU, it does enjoy visa-freestatus and there are no plans for that to change, therefore the UK qualifies for ETIAS. Although Switzerland is not in the EU, it is part of the Schengen zone and will therefore require any visitors to have an approved ETIAS before they can enter the country

Can I work or study with Switzerland ETIAS?

No. ETIAS authorisation Switzerland only allows a person to stay within the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days within a180-day period and does not allow them to study or work in Switzerland.The type of documentation and approvals needed to work,or study will vary depending on the location and duration of the desired stay.ETIAS-eligible people seeking to study in Europe will still need Switzerland ETIAS permission before beginning any educational courses, but they may also need a visa or authorisation to study in a specific country, as each country has its own set of rules.

How to apply for a visa waiver to travel to Switzerland from the UK?

ETIAS for Switzerland is fully electronic, and the application will be simple to fill in and possible to be completed online in just 10 minutes. Applicants will need to fill out some basic biometric information such as name, date of birth and home address, plus some security information like travel and criminal history. The applicant will need a biometric passport that remains valid for at least three months after the intended arrival in the destination country, and a functional payment card with sufficient funds to pay the nominal application fee.

When will Switzerland ETIAS go live?

In 2025, the ETIAS visa waiver will become compulsory for citizens of all visa-exempt countries. The exact date it will go live is yet to be confirmed.There will be a period of transition to allow travellers and border authorities to get used to the new system, after which it will be compulsory for any qualifying person travelling into the Schengen zone to have an approved Switzerland ETIAS. However, it is recommended that those travelling within the grace period still aim to travel with an approved ETIAS.Submitting an application will be quite simple–applicants will only require reliable internet access, a valid email address, a biometric passport that is valid, and enough money to pay the application fee.

Do I need a passport to apply for ETIAS?

Yes. A valid biometric passport is essential for ETIAS approval, so all UK citizens will need one in order to apply. That should not be a problem for most British people, as the UK has been issuing biometric passports as standard since 2010. All passports must be valid at the time of arrival in Europe, be machine-readable, and have a digital printed photo that is not glued or affixed in anyway.Your passport may also be required to bear the electronic passport sign or chip.

Do children need to apply for Switzerland ETIAS?

Yes, everyone under the age of 18 will also need ETIAS Application Switzerland. From 2025, all travellers from ETIAS eligible countries (see our site for a full list) including minors, will need a valid ETIAS to enter the Schengen area.It has been decided that every individual, regardless of age, will need to have Switzerland ETIAS linked to their passport when they travel to Europe,for security reasons, but also to help prevent the rising issue of human trafficking and keep track of the security status of the adult that is responsible for the child.For children and minors, a parent or legal guardian must complete the ETIAS application on their behalf.

Can I apply for Switzerland ETIAS if I have a criminal record?

If the person wishing to apply for Switzerland ETIAS has a criminal record, they may still apply, but the outcome may be affected. A person’s criminal record may impact their chance of gaining ETIAS approval, even in the case of minor crimes such as disorderly conduct, shoplifting, loitering, and driving under the influence (DUI). Therefore,the process for candidates with a criminal history may differ from those without one.

I’m a citizen of an Switzerland ETIAS country. Do I need to apply for ETIAS?

No. Anyone with a passport from an ETIAS country is not required to apply for ETIAS because they are entering their own country or another ETIAS country.For example,you do not need to apply for ETIAS Switzerland if you are a French citizen travelling to Germany (or another ETIAS nation). You will however need to apply for ETIAS if you have an American, Canadian, Australian or British passport, or are a citizen of any of the60 ETIAS eligible countries.Anyone from a non-EU country that does not have visa-free status will need a Schengen visa and will not be eligible to apply for ETIAS.

A comprehensive list of all Switzerland ETIAS member countries may be found on our homepage. The list includes full Schengen member countries, members of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA),future Schengen member countries and European micro states with open borders. This list, and the list of current ETIAS eligible countries, may change over time as members join or leave.

I have more than one citizenship. What citizenship should I enter on the ETIAS application form?

It is contingent on your nationality. You do not need to apply for ETIAS if you are a dual citizen of an ETIAS nation and another country, for example, the United States and Italy. With your Italian passport, you will be able to travel across Europe without ETIAS or a Schengen visa. If you have dual citizenship in two non-EU countries but one of them is eligible for ETIAS, you should apply for Switzerland ETIAS using the passport of the eligible nation. If you are a dual citizen of the United States and Thailand,for example, because the Thai passport requires a Schengen visa to visit Europe, it is recommended that you apply for ETIAS under an American passport in this circumstance for the sake of convenience.If this is unclear in any way, please get in touch with our customer service department for more information.

Get Notified When ETIAS Becomes Mandatory!